The Ukrainian Bureau of Psychophysiological Research and Security (UkrBureau) is the official representative of Axciton Systems Inc. in Ukraine and Eastern Europe. UkrBureau offers on-site training in the countries of Eastern and Western Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, if specifically arranged. The main courses are also conducted in Ukraine in the classrooms of one of Kiev universities under “The use of polygraph during investigations and personnel work” polygraph training program.
The quality of polygraph examiners training in the UkrBureau educational center is among the best ones in Europe. The acquired knowledge and skills allow our graduates to work in any country in the world. In the recent years, the UkrBureau training center has become the most respected in Ukraine and has confidently taken the lead in the quality of preparing polygraph examiners. All graduates of our school are highly competitive and are in demand. They have good knowledge and confident skills. The training course is designed with the account for the most effective psycho-technologies and practical experience, in accordance with the main provisions of ASTM International E2000 – 02 (Standard Guide for Minimum Basic Education and Training of Individuals Involved in the Detection of Deception). The curriculum includes the usage of modern knowledge of the leading international polygraph training schools, being built on the usage of the standardized testing techniques, primarily recommended by the American Polygraph Association, with a scientific basis available and having confidently proven their effectiveness during investigations, personnel testing and forensic psycho-physiological polygraph examination. A company certificate is issued upon completion of the course and passing the final examination; this will become your professional calling card for many years.
Throughout the working period, UkrBureau educational center has trained over 80 polygraph specialists for private business, the state, law enforcement agencies and military departments. The head of the training center, Igor Usikov, was awarded with the letters of the certificates of gratitude by the Minister of Defense of Ukraine, the Head of the National Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine, the honorary signs of the military and law enforcement agencies for high-quality training of polygraph specialists.
The basis of the methodical part of the training course for polygraph examiners at the UkrBureau training center is the Basic training program utilizing the most effective polygraph testing techniques that have been tested for accuracy for many decades by polygraph examiners all over the world, making it possible to understand each other without words and knowledge of languages.
The training program for polygraph examiners of the UkrBureau training center is developed on the basis of educational and scientific-practical materials used in the preparation of polygraph examiners by the teachers of the most authoritative international schools:
1) Study materials for the US polygraph examiners, given by Chuck Slupski, the director of the American International Polygraph Institute, vice-president and board member of the American polygraph association. (Certificates of short-term qualification courses 2013, 2014, 2016, issued by the director Ch. Slupski)
2) The basis of the course is the Ph.D. thesis in the field of psychology of one of the most authoritative polygraph examiners in the post-Soviet territory - Sergei Popovichev, on “The relationship between the subject’s security needs and the probability of identifying deception in a polygraph survey”, maintaining the basic provisions of the theoretical justification and practical application of the polygraph as a whole for the first time. (Certificate on taking the basic initial course in the polygraph training program, 2007)
3) Study materials for the US polygraph examiners, provided by Nathan Gordon, the director of the Academy of scientific research of polygraph examiners, vice president of the American Polygraph Association, president of the International association of forensic psychophysiological organizations. (Certificates of short-term qualification courses in 2013 issued by the director N. Gordon)
4) Study materials of the short-term qualification course of the Kiev scientific research institute of forensic science under the “Valid methods of psychological research using polygraphs” program (2016)
The basic training course for polygraph examiners provides an in-depth understanding and obtaining the professional knowledge on standardized test methods in an international format:
test СІТ – Concealed Information Testing
test Peak of Tension
test Bi-Zone \ You Phase
test Utah Zone Comparison Technique
test Federal ZCT
test Backster’s Technique
In screening (personnel testing):
LEPED –the most common technique in most US states. Recommended when hiring law enforcement personnel.
AFMGQT – general questions screening technique
UTAH PRINCIPLES – screening technique
DLC Screening Test for Security – multi-topic screening test on the basis of espionage and sabotage detection test.
R&I – screening technique
The following can be used for expert analysis and scoring of the obtained data (polygraphs):
1. Classic 7 or 3-point scoring system
2. Empirical scoring system - ESS
3. Horizontal scoring system - HSS
4. UTAH test scoring system
Additional complex of skills for special analysis includes:
• Non-verbal behavior assessment.
• Countermeasure identification and neutralization
• Speech assessment method aimed at identification of psychological signs of truthfulness / non- truthfulness (video records analysis)
The high effectiveness of these standardized methods proves itself in the course of effective investigations, qualitative personnel surveys, as well as in the most complex works - forensic psychophysiological examinations with the use of polygraph in criminal, administrative and civil cases, making it possible to make objective and confident decisions, officially recognized in Ukrainian courts.
In addition to the basic training course, the training center develops a number of special programs for advanced qualification courses (AEC) for the already employed polygraph examiners, based on the personal need of each student in supplementing his/her methodological qualifications. The basis of these programs is formed of the most effective scientific and practical developments in terms of expert speech content analysis and forensic expert practice in this area, as well as information obtained in the qualification courses:
The profession of a polygraph examiner puts the highest demands on a person, namely the personal maturity, life experience, high moral qualities, and the social values directed at the respect for people primarily. After all, in many cases a polygraphologist literally has to determine human fates. Inept actions can cause irreparable harm not only to a person, but also negatively affect the reliability of the expert himself. Therefore, you should understand that our polygraph examiner training is just the beginning of your way to this complex profession. Further on much will depend on the personal qualities of the specialist, the desire for self-education, communication with more experienced colleagues and studying the specialized literature.
Therefore, when selecting candidates for training at the polygraphologist training center of the Ukrainian Bureau of Psychophysiological Studies, the preliminary qualitative selection of candidates with a certain number of personal qualities is vitally important, being a conditional guarantee of a person becoming a "unique" specialist, our graduate, whom we can be proud of and share great experience and professional expertise with without any doubt. We have initially set high standards for our school and determined the main condition to be not the quantity, but working on quality.
PREREQUISITES for the candidate for training at the UkrBureau center for polygraph examiners training:
• At least 25 years old, must have at least 3 years of experience working with people. • higher education – compulsory
• no previous convictions;
• must have a consistent interest in the profession;
• must have experience being a team member in a workplace and building relationships with people;
• well-developed communicational skills, erudition and versatility;
• ability and willingness to learn and perform self-education;
• must have good analytical thinking ability;
• the ability to make independent decisions and to resist the external opinions;
• good health and high stress resistance;
• creative personality;
• respectful attitude towards people;
• GOOD PC user (a confident user)
Based on the results of preliminary qualifications, a further interview is conducted with a candidate for polygraph examiner training course, where he is given a notion of the main "pitfalls" of the profession and the complexities for the person to understand and realize what he will be facing while working as a polygraph examiner, to “try on” these conditions and the specificity of the work, to be able to understand right away whether he or she is fit for this profession or not.
The experience of other polygraph schools, especially in the CIS countries, with the similarly high selection requirements, has fully justified itself and the effectiveness of selection of candidates with their further preparation as polygraph examiners turns out to be quite high. In the future, the productivity of work and communication with such a colleague delivers a more pronounced effect to both parties. The indicated requirements help avoiding the profanation of the polygraph testing method on the polygraph (the lie detector) and significantly reduce the risks of non-professionals entering this market. The ability to collect and analyze information is the makings of a professional, therefore, the correct choice of the place of training is a certain test for professional selection even when making the first steps in the search for a polygraph training school.
Graduates consolidate their knowledge and skills, gained at the intramural basic course of the training through additional self-training based on the material provided by the UkrBureau, and conduct independent inspections in real working conditions on the basis of the basic practical skills. Continuous methodical and practical support and assistance is provided for the whole period of the correspondence course.
1. History and development of deception detection. Fundamentals of the polygraph instrumental complex. Psychology of deception, Limbic system, Emotions formation, Theory of the need for security and self-preservation. Fundamentals of legal knowledge, The concept of corpus delicti, The notion of the criminal acts qualification. General psychophysiology, types of stressful changes. 24 hours
2. Fundamentals of criminal and civil law. The concept of corpus delicti. Bases of qualification of crimes.
Peak stress technique. Tests of culpable knowledge. Search tests. Quality and graded polygrams scoring. Steam tests. Pre-test, inter-test, post-test conversations. Complex of practical exercises. Test. Test methods discussed in this part of training: CIT, POT, SPOT, KSPOT 80 hours
4. Control questions method. Single-task and multitask kinds of tests. Kinds of questions, Rules of question preparation and processing. Polygram special analysis rules, Qualitative and graded polygrams scoring. Empirical system for ESS scoring. Set of practical exercises. Test methods discussed in this part of training: AFMGQT, FederalZCT, You-Phase, UtahTechnique.
Personnel testing (screening) with MKV method. Types of personnel tests. DLST tests. 60 hours
5. Hands-on training 90 hours
6. Homework 50 hours
6. Non-verbal and verbal ways of revealing the signs of deception 8 hours
7. Polygraph testing countermeasure identification and neutralization 8 hours
8. Final examination 8 hours
Total hours of training course (in-class learning, homework, practice) 320 HOURS
up to 9 weeks
The duration of training is 320 hours. It’s designed to take period from 6 up to 10 weeks to prepare foreign specialists and 30 days to prepare Russian speaking specialists, being a full-time course with full separation from the main job or other studies. An interpreter for your language is guaranteed. The groups consist of 4 to 12 people, which ensures the most efficient digestion and absorption of knowledge.
The basic training course in volume of 320 hours can be organized in 2 options:
1. By a method of "stressful training", in the mode of high cognitive loadings, with one day off for the entire period of a training course. The high efficiency of this approach has proved at the deficiency of time, in the conditions of military or other need and allows to carry out basic training of polygraphologists with full preservation of quality acquisition of knowledge and practical skills, for conditionally short term. For Russian-speaking group the period of training is from 30 days (5 weeks). For listeners of other language groups, taking into account involvement of the translator, the period of training is from 40 to 70 days (6-10 weeks).
2. By the method of an equable teaching load, at 5-day educational week with the sheduled days off. For Russian-speaking group the period of training is 40 days (6 weeks). For listeners of other language groups, taking into account involvement of the translator, the period of training is from 40 to 70 days (6-10 weeks).
Training held by the training center of the course preparation of polygraph experts of the Ukrainian Bureau of Psychophysiological Research and Security is intramural. During the training period, the classes are held every day from 10 AM to 6 PM. Depending on the kind of the training course, the students are given daily tasks which can be done at home independently, or in class (completion time 2 to 4 hours).
Training is held ONLY in the training group, composed in the course of student enrollment. Individual training, i.e. training for just one person is not offered, this form of training being ineffective. Skipping classes is not allowed, because it is VERY hard to catch up after even one missed lesson due to the extremely high information loading and absolutely impossible after missing two lessons. In addition to daily lectures, additional daily homework is also assigned.
Each student gets training hand-outs, which he/she will be actively using both in training and after graduation. Video recordings of real-life polygraph examinations are used during the training course, to name a few: the videos of investigations, forensic examinations with the use of polygraphs, personnel inspections, countermeasure identification and collective analysis of these cases.
The purpose of the training is to give each student a scientific and practical basis for understanding the methods, to develop practical skills in using the existing, basic set of methodological options, and the ability to think independently and be able to make independent decisions. The polygraph examiners training does not come to an end with the completion of the initial 30 or 70-day course, but is constantly continued through subsequent remote mentoring and the necessary consultations based on specific life situations. Unfortunately, many people realize the real significance and value of this communication only later on.
During the training, the UkrBureau training center uses Axciton (USA) or Sphere (Ukraine) polygraphs, which are considered to be the most reliable devices in our opinion. Listeners can use their own polygraphs of any model. At the end of the training, the polygraph expert obtains the knowledge and skills which will help him to learn to operate another model of polygraph independently whenever necessary.
Prior to the beginning of the training, students should provide the following documents:
1. Questionnaire (completed at the interview).
2. 1 photo (3.5 x 4.5 cm.).
3. Photocopy of the passport.
4. Photocopy of the official document certifying higher education.
Candidates arriving for training with them must have:
• a 96 page notebook with a good hard cover and binding (preferably quad ruled, A4 format) for taking notes;
• a 48 page notebook - for practical classes;
• a pencil, an eraser, a short transparent ruler;
• a set of colored pens (red, black) and at least 5 pens with blue ink;
• a sound recorder is recommended;
• a laptop is compulsory!
Upon completion of the training course and successful final examination, a Certificate of training completion on the “Application of the polygraph during investigations and personnel management” program is issued.
THE COST OF TRAINING:
1. In Ukraine for Russian-speaking listeners training group, the cost of the full course of study is the equivalent of 2000 U.S. dollars. Training is conducted only when recruiting a group from 3 people up to 12 people.
2. Departing to another country: The territory of post-Soviet countries. Training is conducted only when recruiting a group from 4 people up to 12 (14) people. For the Russian-speaking training group, the cost of the full course of study is 2.000 U.S. dollars.
3. Departing to another country: (the territory countries of Western Europe, Middle East, Asia, Africa, etc.). Training is conducted only when recruiting a group from 4 people up to 12 (14) people. For the Russian-speaking training group, the cost of the full course of study is 2.500 U.S. dollars. For the training group with the language of the host country, the cost of the full course of study is 3.500 U.S. dollars.
Conditions the realization training course of polygraphologists when departing to another country:
• - the host side in addition pays:
Visa (if necessary to obtain it),
a flight to both sides
Accommodation (for the whole period of stay in the country for training),
cost of food (for the whole period of stay in the country for training),
if necessary, transfer service at a place of stay for the entire period of the finding the teacher at the place of training. If necessary, provides the necessary security stay in a country.
• -The host side provides the places for the learning sessions. One roomy lecture hall for lecture classes and additionally several small lecture halls for the period of realization practical lessons. In the lecture hall should be comfortable tables, overhead projector, whiteboard and other equipment by agreement. A comfortable temperature in the classroom. The permanent availability of water, tea, coffee and other necessities are in the right quantity.
• - The host side pays the additional participation of Interpreter engaged for the entire period of the course.
• - The host side translates the training handout (slides, brochures) into the language of the country of stay.
• - The host side produces the mandatory printing of training materials which the UkrBureau school provides by the number of listeners.
• - If necessary, and the desire of the customer by the UkrBureau school can be given separately and additionally the video materials in the volume from 2 to 3 hours for the translation. The host side may do for its students duplicated translation of video (subtitles). The UkrBureau school can prepare for the translation the verbatim of the text from the training video.
Company director: Ihor Usikov
Direct phone number in Ukraine: +38050-4755286; +38 097-4079064;
Centraloffice: Ukraine, Kiev, Sechevykh Streltsov Str., 40 “а”