The Ukrainian Bureau of Psychophysiological Research and Security was established in the company’s structure in the spring of 2011. On-site training is conducted in the countries of Eastern and Western Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East when specifically arranged. The main courses are also conducted in Ukraine in the classrooms of one of Kiev universities under “The use of polygraph during investigations and personnel work” polygraph training program.
The quality of polygraph examiners training in the UkrBureau educational center is among the best ones in Europe, and the acquired knowledge and skills allow our graduates to work in any country in the world. In the recent years, the UkrBureau training center has become the most authoritative in Ukraine and has confidently taken the lead in the quality of teaching polygraph examiners. All graduates of our school are highly competitive and in demand, having good knowledge and confident skills. The training course is designed with the account for the most effective psycho-technologies and practical experience, in accordance with the main provisions of ASTM International E2000 – 02 (Standard Guide for Minimum Basic Education and Training of Individuals Involved in the Detection of Deception-). The curriculum includes the usage of modern knowledge of the leading international polygraph training schools, being built on the usage of the standardized testing techniques, primarily recommended by American Polygraph Association, with a scientific basis available and having confidently confirmed their effectiveness in investigations, personnel testing and forensic psycho-physiological polygraph examination. A company certificate is issued upon completion of the course and passing the final examination; this will become your professional calling card for many years.
Throughout the working period, UkrBureau educational center has trained over 80 polygraph specialists for private business, state, law enforcement agencies and military departments. The head of the training center, Igor Usikov, was awarded with the letters of the certificates of gratitude by the Minister of Defense of Ukraine, the rector of the National Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine, the honorary signs of the military and law enforcement agencies for high-quality training of polygraph specialists.
The basis of the methodical part of the training course for polygraph examiners at the UkrBureau training center is the Basic training program utilizing the most effective polygraph testing techniques that have been tested for accuracy for many decades by polygraph examiners all over the world, making it possible to understand each other without words and knowledge of languages.
The training program for polygraph examiners of the UkrBureau training center is developed on the basis of educational and scientific-practical materials used in the preparation of polygraph examiners by the teachers of the most authoritative international schools:
1) The basis of the course is the Ph.D. thesis in the field of psychology of one of the most authoritative polygraph examiners in the post-Soviet territory - Sergei Popovichev, on “The relationship between the subject’s security needs and the probability of identifying deception in a polygraph survey”, maintaining the basic provisions of the theoretical justification and practical application of the polygraph as a whole for the first time. (Certificate on taking the basic initial course in the polygraph training program, 2007)
2) Study materials for the US polygraph examiners, given by Chuck Slupski, the director of the American International Polygraph Institute, vice-president and board member of the American polygraph association. (Certificates of short-term qualification courses 2013, 2014, 2016, issued by the director Ch. Slupski)
3) Study materials for the US polygraph examiners, provided by Nathan Gordon, the director of the Academy of scientific research of polygraph examiners, vice president of the American Polygraph Association, president of the International association of forensic psychophysiological organizations. (Certificates of short-term qualification courses in 2013 issued by the director N. Gordon)
4) Study materials of the short-term qualification course of the Kiev scientific research institute of forensic science under the “Valid methods of psychological research using polygraphs” program (2016)
The basic training course for polygraph examiners provides an in-depth understanding and obtaining the professional knowledge on standardized test methods in an international format:
testСІТ – Concealed Information Testing
test Peak of Tension
test Bi-Zone \ You Phase
test Utah Zone Comparison Technique
test Federal ZCT
test Backster’s Technique
In screening (personnel testing):
LEPED –the most common technique in most US states. Recommended when hiring law enforcement personnel.
AFMGQT – general questions screening technique
UTAH PRINCIPLES – screening technique
DLC Screening Test for Security – multi-topic screening test on the basis of espionage and sabotage detection test.
R&I – screening technique
The following can be used for expert analysis and scoring of the obtained data (polygraphs):
1. Classic 7 or 3-point scoring system
2. Empirical scoring system - ESS
3. Horizontal scoring system - HSS
4. UTAH test scoring system
Additional complex of skills for special analysis includes:
• Non-verbal behavior assessment.
• Countermeasure identification and neutralization
• Speech assessment method aimed at identification of psychological signs of truthfulness / non- truthfulness (video records analysis)
The high effectiveness of these standardized methods proves itself in the course of effective investigations, qualitative personnel surveys, as well as in the most complex works - forensic psychophysiological examinations with the use of polygraph in criminal, administrative and civil cases, making it possible to make objective and confident decisions, officially recognized in Ukrainian courts.
In addition to the basic training course, the training center develops a number of special programs for advanced qualification courses (AEC) for the already employed polygraph examiners, based on the personal need of each student in supplementing his/her methodological qualifications. The basis of these programs is formed of the most effective scientific and practical developments in terms of expert speech content analysis and forensic expert practice in this area, as well as information obtained in the qualification courses:
The profession of a polygraph examiner puts the highest demands on a person, namely the personal maturity, life experience, high moral qualities, and the social values directed at the respect for people primarily. After all, in many cases a polygraphologist literally has to determine human fates. Inept actions can cause irreparable harm not only to a person, but also negatively affect the reliability of the expert himself. Therefore, you should understand that our polygraph examiner training is just the beginning of your way to this complex profession. Further on much will depend on the personal qualities of the specialist, the desire for self-education, communication with more experienced colleagues and studying the specialized literature.
Therefore, when selecting candidates for training at the polygraphologist training center of the Ukrainian Bureau of Psychophysiological Studies, the preliminary qualitative selection of candidates with a certain number of personal qualities is vitally important, being a conditional guarantee of a person becoming a "unique" specialist, our graduate, whom we can be proud of and share great experience and professional expertise with without any doubt. We have initially set high standards for our school and determined the main condition to be not the quantity, but working on quality.
PREREQUISITES for the candidate for training at the UkrBureau center for polygraph examiners training:
• ONLY 25 years old and more, having experience in working with people of 3 years and more.
• higher education – compulsory
• no previous convictions;
• having a steady interest in the profession;
• experience of working in teams and relationships with people;
• well-developed communication skills and volubility;
• sufficient intelligence, versatile interests, broad outlook;
• ability and willingness to learn and perform self-education;
• the ability to make independent decisions and to resist the external opinions;
• good health and high stress resistance;
• creative personality;
• respect for people;
• GOOD PC user (a confident user)
Based on the results of preliminary qualifications, a further interview is conducted with a candidate for polygraph examiner training, where he is given a notion of the main "pitfalls" of the profession and the complexities for the person to understand and realize what might he be facing while work as a polygraph examiner, to “try on” these conditions and the specificity of the work, to be able to understand right away whether he is fir for this profession or not.
The experience of other polygraph schools, especially in the CIS countries, with the similarly high selection requirements, has fully justified itself and the effectiveness of selection of candidates with their further preparation as polygraph examiners turns out to be very high. In the future, the productivity of work and communication with such a colleague delivers a more pronounced effect to both parties. The indicated requirements help avoiding the profanation of the polygraph testing method on the polygraph (the lie detector) and significantly reduce the risks of non-professionals entering this market. The ability to collect and analyze information is the makings of a professional, therefore, the correct choice of the place of training is a certain test for professional selection even when making the first steps in the search for a polygraph training school.
Graduates consolidate their knowledge and skills, gained at the intramural basic course of the training through additional self-training based on the material provided by the UkrBureau, and conduct independent inspections in real working conditions on the basis of the basic practical skills. Continuous methodical and practical support and assistance is provided for the whole period of the correspondence course.
1. History and development of deception detection. Fundamentals of the polygraph instrumental complex. Psychology of deception, Limbic system, Emotions formation, Theory of the need for security and self-preservation. Fundamentals of legal knowledge, The concept of corpus delicti, The notion of the criminal acts qualification. General psychophysiology, types of stressful changes. 24 hours
2. Fundamentals of criminal and civil law. The concept of corpus delicti. Bases of qualification of crimes.
Peak stress technique. Tests of culpable knowledge. Search tests. Quality and graded polygrams scoring. Steam tests. Pre-test, inter-test, post-test conversations. Complex of practical exercises. Test. Test methods discussed in this part of training: CIT, POT, SPOT, KSPOT 80 hours
4. Control questions method. Single-task and multitask kinds of tests. Kinds of questions, Rules of question preparation and processing. Polygram special analysis rules, Qualitative and graded polygrams scoring. Empirical system for ESS scoring. Set of practical exercises. Test methods discussed in this part of training: AFMGQT, FederalZCT, You-Phase, UtahTechnique.
Personnel testing (screening) with MKV method. Types of personnel tests. DLST tests. 60 hours
5. Hands-on training 90 hours
6. Homework 50 hours
6. Non-verbal and verbal ways of revealing the signs of deception 8 hours
7. Polygraph testing countermeasure identification and neutralization 8 hours
8. Final examination 8 hours
Total hours of training course (in-class learning, homework, practice) 320 HOURS
up to 9 weeks
The duration of training is 320 hours, designed for up to 9 weeks, being a full-time course with full separation from the main job or other studies. The interpreter must be involved for assisting the native speaking trainees. The group consists of 4 to 12 people, which ensures the most efficient transfer and absorbing of knowledge.
Training held by the training center of the course preparation of polygraphologists of the Ukrainian Bureau of Psychophysiological Research and Security is intramural. During the training period, the classes are held every day from 10 AM to 6 PM, with 2-4 hours of daily homework.
Training is held ONLY in the training group, composed in the course of student enrollment. Individual training, i.e. training for just one person is not offered, this form of training being ineffective. Missing classes is not allowed, because it is VERY hard to catch up after even one missed lesson due to the extremely high information loading and absolutely impossible after missing two lessons. In addition to daily lectures, additional daily homework is also assigned.
Each student gets training hand-outs, which he/she will be actively using both in training and after graduation. Video recordings of real-life testing may be used during the training, namely the videos of investigations, forensic examinations with the use of polygraphs, personnel inspections, countermeasure identification and general analysis of all cases.
The purpose of the training is to give each listener a scientific and practical basis for understanding the method, to develop practical skills in using the existing, basic arsenal of methodological capabilities and the ability to think and decide independently. The polygraph examiners training does not come to an end with the completion of the initial 30-day course, but is constantly continued through subsequent remote mentoring and the necessary consultations based on specific life situations. Unfortunately, many people realize the real significance and value of this communication only later on.
During the training, the UkrBureau training center uses Axciton (USA) or Sphere (Ukraine) polygraphs, which are considered to be the most reliable devices in our opinion. Listeners can use their own polygraphs of any model. At the end of the training, the polygraph expert obtains the knowledge and skills which will help him to learn to operate another model of polygraph independently whenever necessary.
The Ukrainian Bureau of Psychophysiological Research and Security is the official representative and distributor of the American Axciton Systems Inc. company, the world market leader in the development and sale of homonymic polygraph devices. We have the opportunity and authority to sell polygraphs all over Europe and other regions of the world supplied by an official manufacturer with an up to 5% discount.
Prior to the beginning of the training, students should provide the following documents:
1. Questionnaire (completed at the interview).
2. 1 photo (3.5 x 4.5 cm.).
3. Photocopy of the passport.
4. Photocopy of the official document certifying higher education.
Upon completion of the training course and successful final examination, a Certificate of training completion on the “Application of the polygraph during investigations and personnel management” program is issued.
Candidates arriving for training with them must have:
• for taking notes - a 96 page notebook, with a good hard cover and binding (preferably quad ruled, A4 format);
• a 48 page notebook - for practical classes;
• a pencil, an eraser, a short transparent ruler;
• a set of colored pens (red, black) and at least 5 pens with blue ink;
• a dictophone is recommended;
• the laptop is compulsory!
Conditions for polygraph examiners training course abroad:
• the organizer will additionally provide the roundtrip air tickets, accommodation, meals, and transfer at the place of stay for the entire period of the teacher’s stay at the training site if necessary.
• the organizer provides for the participation of an interpreter, who is involved for the whole training period.
• the organizer translates the training hand-outs into the native language of the trainees, and makes copies of the latter for every student if necessary.
• the organizer provides for the training site (2 classrooms at least), the class should have comfortable tables, a projector, a board and other equipment as may be agreed. Please ensure comfortable indoor temperature.
COST OF TRAINING:
Training abroad (post-Soviet countries, Europe, Middle East, Africa etc.). Training is conducted only when a group of 4 to 12 people is completed. The cost of the basic training course for 1 person is EUR 3000 (US dollar). The training period, with the assistance of an interpreter, comprises up to 50 days (9 weeks).
Company director: Ihor Usikov
Direct phone number in Ukraine: +38050-4755286; +38 097-4079064;
Centraloffice: Ukraine, Kiev, Sechevykh Streltsov Str., 40 “а”